Mike Johnson began his canvas training over 30 years ago in 1976 as a U.S. Marine Corps parachute inspector and rigger at NAS Cherry Point, NC. While serving there, Mike learned attention to detail and dedication to perfection in the life or death environment of aviation safety.
After his enlistment Mike moved his family to Ft. Collins, Colorado and expanded his canvas skills at the award winning company, Peterson Canvas, where he worked as shop foreman managing production and design. They became the first shop to introduce backlit awnings into the canvas awning & sign industry.
1987 brought the Johnsons back east to Virginia
Beach, Virginia. Mike continued his career at the century old premier awning company, Hogshire Industries, in Norfolk, Virginia, where he worked as their Production & Design Supervisor.
1996 Mike started his own canvas company focusing on the marine products division, providing state of the art canvas for the many private and commercial boats that are in the Chesapeake Bay area.
Our happy clients include some of the best Charter Boat Captains and fishing guides in the area, and many top restaurants too!
We are licensed and insured to work in all marinas in Virginia and North Carolina, as well as private boat slips and lifts.
Mike is teamed with his wife Kathy, his two sons Dan & Brian, and his talented crew in the production department, Barb & Darlene, who together have over 30 years combined experience in the marine canvas field. Our talented team designs and fabricates beautiful and functional canvas products that you will be proud to own and use.
Mikes Marine Custom Canvas is an active Member of the following Associations:
- Industrial Fabrics Association International
- The Marine Fabricators Association, a division of the IFAI, since 2000
- Board of Directors Member of the MFA since 2004. Presented training seminars at their National Conventions in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2008 of variety of topics in the marine canvas industry
- Virginia – Carolina Zone 4 Canvas Association. Presented training seminars for their group’s conventions in 2005 and 2008
- Recipient of over 30 national and international awards in 8 different categories of canvas design and craftsmanship
- Recently featured in an interview and article of the December 2008 issue of Motor Boating Magazine
- Featured in the Milestones business section of our local newspaper Sept. 2008